Tuesday, September 12, 2017

New Year, New School

The start of the 2017-2018 school year has been super busy for me. This year I started in a new school district, Belchertown, MA. I'm at Chestnut Hill Community School and I'm full time teaching grades 4, 5, and 6!

It was bittersweet cleaning out my old classrooms. I really did love Granby and was there since I student taught. However, I needed this change for me and my family. Setting up my new classroom has been fun, but challenging. I unfortunately have been doing it all on crutches. I badly sprained my ankle right before school started, so that's been interesting to deal with. My husband was also busy making/re-purposing things for my room.

Also with the change, I decided it would be a good time to reevaluate my class expectations. After reevaluating, I felt the need to change my expectations around rules and routines. So I started looking to see what other art teachers were doing. I really connected with what Cassie Stephens, one of my favorite art teacher bloggers, was doing in her art room, so I adopted her rules and tweaked them a tiny bit.

Just so everyone knows, this blog will be updated at least once a month with pictures, lessons, events, etc. I have updated my class expectations to reflect my new rules. I will be updating the event page for art related events in and out of the classroom as things come up. The projects page will be updated regularly. I will also be adding a "Sketchbook Challenge" page that will have the monthly challenge, the rubric, etc.

Here's some pictures of the room before the first day of school.




No comments:

Post a Comment